Sunday, July 27, 2008

RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI: Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Iowa has this tradition that is the worlds biggest bike ride. It is called RAGBRAI and it is a week long event, with ~15,000 riders (10,000 registered and ? unregistered riders). Riders start on the west side of the state with their back tires in the Missouri River and ride across the entire state along a route that changes every year to do the 'Mississippi Dip,' or put there front tire in the Mississippi River. The next two picture show a large group of people arriving to the final destination of Le Claire and then lining up for their dip.

Iowa cities have really friendly and warm downtowns.


I had heard about it last year when I moved here. This year I did the last day of riding. It was a huge party on wheels, niles of corn fields, an occasional water tower, and intermittent pig farms that make your nose hairs curl.




I am so excited for next year. I am saving vacation so that I can do the entire thing. I'll just move my rack from my commuter bike to my road bike and haul my tent, sleeping pad and bag, and whatever else I need for an entire week. I have several friends that did the entire things this year so I have a fun group to go with. There was a lot of positive energy and the people of Iowa in all of the small towns throw a big party for all of the bikers.





Nothing says 55 miles of biking better then stopping f or a savory pork chop at mile 30. I am so excited for next year. What a great state with fantastic family traditions. To all my family, we should plan on this for next year or the year after. It was so much fun. I saw several five person families with a tandem bike with a pedal chariot on the back and a double chariot for the smaller kids being pulled behind the first chariot. It was awesome!!!!!