Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bike Ride, Dam, IC under water, and Arts Festival!

So, this happened last friday. So I put on my padded biker shorts and Lance Armstrong jersey and charted a new course for my biking adventure. The quest was to go explore the flooding in IC and up at the Coralville Dam. I found the most gorgeous country road, Newport Rd, it is a cross road between Prairie DuChein and North Dodge. It was gorgeous with green rolling hills. The corn in Iowa is about 3" tall.


I came around a turn....... and there was doe feeding her fawn.

I try to make sure that I am in most of the pictures that I take!!!!


This is a rode that is flooded in IC, this is the first day of flooding.....It will only get worse from here.

The wise man built his house upon a what?


This is up at the reservoir. Last year at this time we had a beach partiy here. As you can see it is a little flooded. You can see the brown roof of the park pavillion!


This is on top of the spill way. The blue line on the sign marks how high the waters flowed over the dam spill way during the great flood of 93'. These 100 year floods every 15 years are going to kill us.

Spill way!!!!

'Where the sidewalk ends..........?'


This next picture is on top of the dam. It was gorgeous.


This is what 12,000 cubic feet per minute looks like coming out of the damn. They are supposed to increase the flowrate to 20,000 cfm by today. They hope to avoid water going over the spill way. However, with the amount of rain we have had, the officials expect similar water levels to the 93' flood. From what the locals say, the city is more prepared this time in the event of a major flood.



Later that night I went to the Iowa City Arts Festival. They had a free concert. I ran into lots of people I knew. That was nice because I actually went down all by myself. I had a great time.


I ate this vegetarian/all natural curry. It was really good. I then cooled off with a cherry-limade Hawaiian shaved ice.


This was a fantastic day!!!!!

1 comment:

michele said...

Hey Gloria and I had the organic veggie curry too!!! It was so good and with brown rice too. I am friends with the people who were running that stand. By the way, which night were you at the Art Fest? why didn't we run into each other?