Sunday, June 8, 2008

Memorial Day and AK-47s at the BBQ

The other day I rode my bike through a cemetery. I was just gazing at the tomb stones. I saw one that recorded the death date of an Army Lieutenant on June 5th 1944. This date stuck out to me. I could not remember what was significant about it until I looked it up on my computer. This young freedom fighter died on D-day. Wow! I was very touched. He was buried next to his brother and his parents. All three of which survived him.


Today with the Day off I got a really bad sunburn. I did take a minute to remember all of the veterans and soldiers who gave their life in defense of freedom. This is a cemetery near lake Macbride, NE of Iowa City. I biked 20 miles to the the lake with a few of my friends.......


Everyone else from the branch then met us there. We played ultimate frisbee for a couple hours........


Then we went to the beach at Lake MacBride, had lunch and went swimming. I then turned around on my bike and rode 20 miles back home by myself. My friends decided to get rides back for themselves and their bikes.

We went to a BBQ. My roommate Josh brought Oksana (his AK-47). I was surprised at how little it kicked. About the same as a .22 caliber rifle. It was fun.

1 comment:

David said...

Wow. Seriously wow.